This wealthy and scrumptious cake will fool you into thinking it's totally sinful however it really consists of no added body fat and it is have less processed sugar. If you are feeling a little naughty you can always add marzipan or icing, although that will in the sugar content.
- 8 oz / 250g dates
- 8 fl oz / 240ml water
- 3 oz / 85g plain bread toasted flour
- 3 oz / 85g plain whitened flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 12 oz / 340g mixed dried fruit
- 4 oz / 115g chopped dried apricots
- 3 oz / 85g mixed nuts, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons of orange juice
- 4 tablespoons of rum
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C/340F/gas mark 4.
- Put the dates and water inside a soup pot and produce towards the boil. Prepare lightly for 5 minutes or until soft. Mash, adding the rest of the elements and blend well.
- Spoon right into a greased 2lb/900g cake container and smooth the very best. Bake for around 1 1/2 hrs.
- To provide mtss is a Christmas touch put half the mix within the container, a thin layer of marzipan, and put the relaxation from the mixture on the top and bake. By doing this the marzipan touches in to the cake and it is scrumptious. Alternatively put marzipan and whitened icing on top within the traditional way.